NCEA Level 3 Police Studies
Teacher in Charge: Mr H. Collette
This course aims to provide students with a common base (foundational) level understanding of the knowledge, skills, attributes and attitudes associated with the Police and Policing, and potentially other agencies, in Aotearoa New Zealand. In addition to this, the course will provide an opportunity to explore the physical and leadership requirements of a police officer.
Topics include, but are not limited to:
- The role of Police in contributing to better public services and societal outcomes
- History of police within the community
- Diversity of policing in the community
- Matauranga Maori and police
- Formal and informal interview strategies
- Physical appraisal training and testing
- Leadership in Police
- Emotional intelligence and policing
- Community work-based experiences
The course will offer around 20 credits at NCEA Level 3.
*This course is recognised as a pre-requisite to entering the NZ Police Force. On completion of this course you will have a two year period to join the NZ Police, where your qualification can be transferred through with your application.
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
Standards shown on courses are only an indication and not all may be offered at the time of study.